Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moto droid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Great ad from Verizon - they are going after the android market full tilt and this is good for all android users.

I think the phone is good but I'd prefer my senseUI on top to make it really shine.

i cant wait for this, i just gotta find a reason to justify a new phone now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPYM-XTqcec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jason.clark

whoa! this is verizon's new add directed to AT&T and iPhone. Just found out about this on twitter. The moto droid looks promising indeed. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Am I the only one who thought of this straight away :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Whoa... After a Hands-On With The Droid BoyGeniusReport are totally smitten: "Most Impressive Device Since The iPhone"...."simply amazing"

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/19/motorola-droid-hands-on/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

strecker wrote: »
    Whoa... After a Hands-On With The Droid BoyGeniusReport are totally smitten: "Most Impressive Device Since The iPhone"...."simply amazing"

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/19/motorola-droid-hands-on/
    Wouldnt be hard :pac:

• Advertisement

Wouldnt be hard :pac:

Hahaha ;) Darn, I forgot, yeah, You're right, of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Kinda fugly looking phone imho.

Venom wrote: »
    Kinda fugly looking phone imho.

Well, it carries the universal ugly-warning logo: Motorola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Looks very impressive, but as noted above it won't win any beauty pageants, you can pretty much count on Moto always making an ugly phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Interesting.
    What do you look for in a phone - form or function?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Interesting.
    What do you look for in a phone - form or function?

Personally I want both and ugly design getting by concept stage is kinda lame imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

this looks the business imo but id be wary of buying a motorola again, had several in the past and all been problematic to say the least. Anyone know what specs this badboy packs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

I quite like the look of it. Also, for a slider it's amazingly thin.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2009/10/23/motorola-droid-preview/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

It makes me feel similar to how I felt when I saw the first Android handset, the G1; meh. While the specs are impressive for an Android handset, it doesn't look like I would have expected. In saying that, it appears the handset on the BGR is a prototype, so the final version may yet change.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

I actually like the look of it, kind of industrial look, decent specs, thin for a phone with a keyboard...can see the specs here from motorola website, was taken down since but some guy caught them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vd7SglA91A&feature=player_embedded

Easy Rider wrote: »
    I actually like the look of it, kind of industrial look, decent specs, thin for a phone with a keyboard...can see the specs here from motorola website, was taken down since but some guy caught them...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vd7SglA91A&feature=player_embedded

Same here...
    I like my iiphong for some 'limited' chores, but the sleek'n'slippery slab-form is just no good for prolonged use imho...who knows? Could be moto's 'return' from the phombie-realm? Good luck ;)

Love the gold detail on the back here

normal_MotorolaDroid-3.jpg

The phone, according to Motorola, is Liquorice w/ brown sugar accents.

Like it :P

There's some discussion whether or not the phone actually has a dedicated GPU here... it's confusing.

http://discuss.gdgt.com/motorola/droid/general/550MHz-or-Keyboard-deal-breaker-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Here are the specs:
    http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2011&view=1&c=motorola_droid___tao_a855_motorola_sholes

Interesting (if somewhat less than attractive) device.

I thought those of you who have been drooling over the Droid would be interested in this hands-on.

• Advertisement

Looks great. I can't wait for a GSM version.

Why isn't this thread going nuts?

I think it looks great and I would love for a network to pick it up over here...wonder what the unlocked cost will be in Europe if and when it comes over here..?

Likely >€500
    Full retail price with Verizon is said to be $550. A word of forewarning - Verizon is a CDMA network. If you buy a Motorola Droid from the USA [VZW], regardless of whether or not you can do a hardware unlock, it will not work as it is not GSM like all Irish/European/Everyone-but-Verizon-and-I-think-some-networks-in-Japan service providers.

There is a GSM version in the works.

Points to note :
    Silver detailing instead of gold.
    Pinch to zoom; not found on VZW version.

Engadget have their review up.
    Engadget wrote:
    It's easily the best Android phone to date...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Engadget wrote:
    It's easily the best Android phone to date...

That's damning it with faint praise! Also, is this really better than the Hero? The Sense UI fills a lot of holes in the stock Android functionality like multitouch etc. and the Hero is getting Android 2.0 as well.

I've seen so much hype about this phone and I just don't understand it. Apart from the new Google GPS stuff, I don't see anything here that hasn't been in every other Android phone released. I had to laugh at them advertising double tap to zoom in the browser; every other touch smartphone has had that for years! Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭clacks

Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-X3-Rachael-black-rendering.jpg

Well if I had a choice the Sony X3 seems damn sexy. Snapdragon ARM processor running at 1Ghz, an 8 megapixel camera and a very snazzy screen with Android 2.0. It'll probably cost an arm and a leg, but that still leaves me 1 arm and 1 leg.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Engadget have their review up.

Thanks for that.

"but it will make a lot of serious geeks seriously happy -- and that's good enough for us" seems to be the take home message. :)

13 mm thick for a slider qwerty is pretty good.
    They went easy on its looks- it's not unattractive i guess.

As for the beefed up Google GPS, this looks interesting and increasingly a threat to 3rd party satnav but they said that it was free- doesn't it still need a data connection.

Also 10000 apps is a lot but they still seemed to think Android lacked good apps. How true is this i wonder.

clacks wrote: »
    It'll probably cost an arm and a leg, but that still leaves me 1 arm and 1 leg.

^LOL.
    Positive thinking.

If i didn't read it incorrectly, that engadget review says the Droid doesn't do multitouch.
    That seems to be a drawback.

This isn't true for Android generally is it?

• Advertisement

Yeah, the Sony X3 or X10 whatever they are going to call it looks great, but knowing Sony what will the price be? Really want to upgrade to an Android based phone, betweem the Hero, Droid or X3...interesting to see how to battery holds up with the X3 so much power...

Advertisement